The Fire That Changed Everything
Smoke Alarms Tour - Australia & New Zealand  12-26 May, 2012
1980, IAFC Report Exposed Ionization Alarms
In September 1980 the International Association of Fire Chief’s (IAFC) ‘Residential Smoke Alarm Report’ warned Fire Chiefs about ionization detectors saying that the IAFC could, “. . . take no other course but to recommend photoelectric smoke detectors.”  The report explained how to conduct a full-scale, real-world test so Fire Chiefs may see the life-threatening problems with ionization smoke  alarms.

Early in the morning of 17 December 2005, a fire broke out in a home fitted with three, hard-wired, working, ionization smoke alarms.  Captain Russell Ashe and Fire Fighter Matt Cetin received medals of honor for risking their lives in a vain attempt to save the lives of four children and their Mother. No one could explain why the smoke alarms has failed to activate in a house filled with thick toxic smoke.iafc.htmlshapeimage_3_link_0
Russ Ashe and Matt Cetin (3rd & 4th from left)
at the signing of the Vermont’s photoelectric
only legislation at the Barre City Fire
Department, Vermont, USA
Governor Douglas Signing Vermont’s Photoelectric Smoke Alarm Legislation

You Can Quote Me

Captain Russell Ashe in ‘Smoke Screen’
WCAX-TV3’s award-winning TV program

‘Smoke Screen’ - Vermont’s
Award-Winning, Investigative TV Program

College of Engineering
& Applied Sciences

Captain Russell Ashe

More > > >uc3.htmlshapeimage_9_link_0
28 June, 2010 
Captain Russell Ashe
at the University of
Cincinnati’s Smoke Alarm Symposium
Inspiring New Legislation
After months of research, Cetin
and Ashe eventually discovered
the truth which led to America’s first, photoelecric-only smoke alarm legislation.
Vermont’s Photoelectric-Only
   Smoke Alarm Legislation               legislation_vt.htmlshapeimage_12_link_0
     In December 2005, just one week before Christmas, in a tiny U.S. town, a devastating fire changed everything.  This book is Captain Russell Ashe’s (pictured) stunning, first hand account of
the fateful events of that day.
     Read of the desperate, heroic attempt to try and save the local fire chief, Peter John’s niece, Kimberley Stolz and her four young  children (scroll down page for picture).
     Why didn’t any of the three hard-wired, ionization smoke alarms go off?  Why did they activate when the test button was pressed after the fire - yet remain silent in thick, toxic smoke during the fire?
     Read about the fight for what is right - the battle for America's first, state-wide, mandatory photoelectric smoke alarm legislation.

Captain Russell Ashe with his Book

The Fire That Changed Everything

Captain Russell Ashe
Fire Fighter, Father, Author
Barre City, Vermont, USA
The death of four children and their Mother, in a
home fitted with three, hard-wired, working, ionization smoke alarms, inspired new state-wide photoelectric smoke alarm legislation  - and Russell’s new book.
“Despite the thick smoke
the (ionization) smoke
detector did not go off.”
Watch this Movie  3min, 15secs

In 2008 WCAX-TV3’s Kristin Carlson won a best investigative
reporting award for ‘Smoke Screen‘ following a fatal house fire in Barre City, Vermont.

Kimberly Stoltz Foster and her four children all died when
three, hard-wired, working ionization smoke alarms failed to
go off in their home which was filled with thick, toxic smoke.

Since ‘Smoke Screen’ aired, Vermont passed legislation, in
January 2009, requiring photoelectric alarms in all new homes.

Kristin Carlson - ‘Smoke Screen’
WCAX-TV3, Vermont, USA

“The family had working smoke detectors but yet when fire fighters entered the smoke-filled home none were going off.”
Smoke Alarms Tour
Australia & New Zealand
12 - 26 May, 2012

Smoke Screen

The Fire and the Fire Fighter, that Inspired America’s
First State-Wide Photoelectric-Only Smoke Alarm Legislation
May, 2008

University of Cincinnati
Smoke Alarm Symposium

Captain Russell Ashe, Barre City Fire Department
Vermont, U.S.A. - extract from the book’s website
The Fire That Changed Everythinghttp://www.TheFireThatChangedEverything.comshapeimage_22_link_0
“Inside, you will learn what they didn’t know so
 that you can protect your family from the risk of fire.”
The Fire That Changed Everything
Smoke Alarms Tour - Australia & New Zealand
12-26 May, 2012
Kristin Carlson
“We’d have to wait forty two
minutes for the first ionization
detector to go off.”
“The Stoltz Foster Family,
...and 90% of homeowners,
relied on an ionization detector.”
Fire Marshal Matt Cetin
“...went right out and bought some photoelectrics, ‘cause you just can’t play with your kid’s lives...”